Any stakeholder engagement process should be built on authenticity, transparency and the desire to build and strengthen stakeholder relationships.
Failures may arise if robust pre-planning is not undertaken in relationship to both stakeholder engagement and stakeholder management. If you do not anticipate what the issues and opportunities are for your different stakeholder groups prior to consultation, fail to listen and at times emphathse during the consultative process and create barriers which makes it challenging for them to contribute their feedback, sound consultation outcomes will be jeopardized.
In short, developing consultative processes which place stakeholder engagement at the core is crucial. Understanding the push/pull of individual deliverables and how to successfully influence stakeholders in understanding a project’s merit can be the key difference between a consultative process which is successful or a failure.
- Understanding the constraints and benefits of the proposed deliverable to the various stakeholder groups and be able to impartially provide this information whilst at the same time influence them of the overarching benefits of the proposed outcome is a sound starting point.
- Analyse big data to support the project’s deliverables. Someone’s substantiaing a project’s outcome can only be demonstrated in historical and forcasting statistics.
- Utilise the data to place an emotional/social factor to assist stakeholders resonate with the objective of the project.
- Communicate with stakeholders at each phase of the consultative and post-consultative processes. Keeping stakeholders who have invested their time in providing feedback on progress and key phase outcomes of the project throughout the project lifecycle builds relationships and trust.
- Acknowledge their contribution. Giving credit to the stakeholders for their contributions encourages them to be active participants in future projects.
Utilising a spreadsheet to maintain a database of stakeholders and their feedback is ineffective, inefficient and time consuming. Utilising a secure proprietary online stakeholder management portal is efficient, cost-effective and provides benefits a spreadsheet can never.
Using spreadsheets to manage project and stakeholder data does not work and can led to high risk outcomes including over complexing columns of data, not being able to segment, tag and consolidate stakeholders and feedback and more alarmingly that line items and complete databases can become corrupted or accidentally deleted.
Consider a project with over 1000 stakeholder’s participating -the time to maintain a single point of truth utilizing a spreadsheet is far more expensive than an online stakeholder management system which is built to manage thousands of stakeholders efficiently.
Moreover, as the project processes further changes may incur in the initial requirement, perceptions and attitudes, for which the spreadsheet being a one dimensional thing would not be able to incorporate the needs. Hence, something like a stakeholder engagement portal is a big hit for managing stakeholder engagement. Stakeholder engagement software brings everything under one roof; streamlines the processes, centralizes it, organizes it well and makes it easier for stakeholders to get involved.
Stakeholder engagement portal comes with a number of consultation and engagement tools that makes it easier for stakeholders sitting across the boundaries to conduct meetings. These platforms have a number of features to keep the stakeholders captivated, and moreover, as these can be accessed anytime and from anywhere, stakeholders are likely to show more interest.
Which stakeholder engagement portal should be used?
Engagement Hub is the all-in-one community engagement and stakeholder management solution to drive participation and collaboration. It comes with a number of features aimed at getting stakeholders involved, encouraging collaboration and building relationships. No other community engagement tool includes a flly integrated stakeholder management tool.
Opt for stakeholder management software and minimize the risk of consultative process failure. Choosing the right engagement platform for your organization is a vehicle to build consultative process success.